Sweet Treats at Little Harbour Lunch and Learn

luncheon6

Allan Keefe, right, owner of Chapel Cove Chocolates, speakers with guests during the Little Harbour Lunch and Learn on Thursday,  Jan. 30. 

LITTLE HARBOUR, N.S. -  A lunch and learn in Little Harbour Thursday was a perfect outing for anyone with a sweet tooth.

Allan Keefe, owner of Chapel Cove Chocolate, was guest speaker at the monthly lunch and learn at the Little Harbour Community Centre where he offered up fun facts as well as chocolate treats.

luncheon2

“We started here in 2013 when we moved back to the County and built a house on my wife’s old family property in Little Harbour,” he said. “ We put a commercial kitchen in the basement and I brought a chocolate machine with me.    I thought it was going to be a hobby.   I put some chocolate in Mike’s Harbour Market and it sold out.  I discovered the Farmer’s Market opening in town in the new dome and started selling there every Saturday morning and slowly built it up. “

He currently has his product in a few stores in the County including Crossroads Country Market,  The Pork Shop, Museum of Industry, Pictou Lodge and Zelda’s Flower Shop. 

“We are a one person operation right now, but we are hoping to hire someone this spring,” he said.

luncheon12Rev. Lorne MacLeod enjoys his meal at the luncheon.

Chapel Cove Chocolate is currently open four days a week and in the summer months Keefe can be found on Northumberland Ferries from time to time promoting Taste of Nova Scotia with Chef Allain Bosse.   Purchases can be made from his business in Little Harbour, at the New Glasgow Farmer’s Market or more information can be fund on its Facebook page, Chapel Cove Chocolate.

“We are a small batch producer,” he said. “My machine can handle 10 pounds at a time so I can make 64 bars at a time.“

He also makes chocolate for all seasons including hearts and roses for Valentine’s Day as well as personalized eggs for Easter.   All of his chocolate is gluten free and comes in a variety of tastes including milk, dark and white chocolate.

“At least 60 per cent of the chocolate I make is milk chocolate because everyone loves milk chocolate,” he said, adding that dark chocolate is a healthier option because it has a lower sugar content.   

Keefe’s presentation and samples were a nice compliment to the homemade Missouri Soup and biscuits served at the luncheon followed by a piece of chocolate cake topped with vanilla ice cream and syrup.

The lunch and learns, hosted by the local community, are held the last Thursday of each month from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. from September to May and feature a guest speaker followed by a warm, homecooked meal.  

“This volunteer base comes every month. We come in on Wednesdays and prep to get things together and serve it Thursdays,” said volunteer Lynn Williston. “We come together at the start of the season and plan our menu. February is full on turkey dinner.”

For the last session in May, a barbecue and live music is planned so participants can eat and dance the afternoon away.

Missouri Soup Recipe

luncheon14

1 cup of potatoes
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced onions
6 cups of water
Boil for 15-20 minutes
Add 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of seasoning salt
Add 2 bags of frozen vegetables
Boil another 15-20 minutes 
Add 500 G of Velveeta Cheese